Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Prudence

I know I'm mailing it in here, but I have to be honest with you. I'm still pissed off about Sunday. Long, long story.

When I was in high school, I hated my eleventh grade social studies teacher. She was one of these old, tenured broads who should’ve been barred from teaching kids fifteen years before anyone ever made me sit through her class.

She didn’t actually teach the class. She sat in a chair and yelled at us. As I’m writing this, it makes no sense to me, but that’s how it was. She did nothing but sit and yell, all year long.

One class, she came in and told us she was being evaluated. The Vice Principal would be sitting in the room with us observing her. This was a big deal, so we spent three days rehearsing. She crafted a magnificent lesson plan, and she even scripted the questions we were supposed to ask.

I wasn’t having this.

I asked every wacked out, fucked up, off-the-wall question you could ever imagine during her observation. I was a pretty smart kid, so she couldn’t answer most of these. I did this because I knew exactly what her game was, and I thought it was bullshit.

The following week, she claimed she’d caught me cheating and turned me in to the principal. My father said he was going to kill all of us, and he meant it. This was a fun time.

When I was twenty, I ran into her at a supermarket.

“So,” she asked, “did you manage to get yourself into a college?”

“Why don’t you go fuck yourself?”

-------------------------------------------------------------

I’m going on vacation, sort of. At least part of the trip will be vacation-like.

I’m very happy about this because I’m leaving very soon but still found an affordable flight.

This development put me into the black today, at least on a good shit/bad shit basis. Tomorrow starts from zero, the way today didn’t, so it won’t be quite as hard to make a comeback.