Thursday, October 23, 2008

Clarification

Yes, I voted for George W. Bush. Twice. What am I supposed to do? Lie about it?

I used to vote like a jackass. I lived in New York, so I figured my vote didn’t matter. Since my vote didn’t matter, the idea was to vote for the candidate I disliked less – and when I say I “disliked” a particular candidate, I’m talking about disliking them personally.

In 2000, I was in a very bad place in life, and seeing Al Gore’s face and hearing his voice made things worse because he had a voice and face I didn’t like very much. I had no real, legitimate, grounded-in-fact reason to dislike Al Gore, but I disliked him anyway, and I voted against him.

I realize this is akin to saying “I am stupid” in a public forum, but that’s the way things happened.

In 2004, using the same faultlessly formulated logic, I voted against John Kerry for pretty much the same reasons I voted against Al Gore. This was the result of yet another well-thought-out foray to the voting booth.

I didn’t admit to voting for George W. Bush to make myself look like a jerkoff, although when you make such an admission, the appearance of jerkoffery seems unavoidable. The point is that it’s never too late to start paying attention, which is what I’ve been doing since then – and when I pay attention to things, I’m usually able to figure them out. And I think I’ve got it figured out this time around.