Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Boat With No Oars

I guess it’s pretty obvious that I’ve been trying to pull myself through, and out of, some personal shit lately. Some of this shit was caused externally, and some of it has been self-inflicted. Most of it, actually, and that’s been the maddening part of it.

When smart people tell you not to do things, but you do them anyway, you deserve what you get. When they tell you what you should do, and you don’t follow their advice even though you know they’re right, you deserve what you get then, too.

That’s pretty much where I’m at right now. I didn’t read the map for a couple of interpersonal relationships, took several wrong turns borne of stubbornness and general assholerie, and now I’m cruising blind, trying to figure out how to get back on the interstate.

Cheesy metaphors aside, that’s essentially what this is about – listening a little more, talking a little less, and following through when I say I’m going to do something.

A rough lesson, but one I needed to learn.