Friday, September 19, 2008

Signing

I went to Neal Stephenson's book signing last night at the Barnes & Noble store in Union Square. This was interesting to me for reasons that likely wouldn't interest you, so I'll skip the details. Suffice it to say that getting a signing on that stage for my next book is now a major inspiration. And yes, there is a next book in the works.

Neal is a major reason why I decided to start writing in the first place, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise - if you know me - to hear that I turned into a stammering, stuttering, sputtering imbecile when given my thirty second audience with the author.

In other words, I choked.

I would read anything this guy recommends, so here's the list of authors he gave when asked for a reading list:

1. David Foster Wallace
2. Matt Ruff
3. Gordon Dahlquist
4. Etgar Keret
5. Dan Simmons

Also, one of my favorite books, Cryptonomicon, is pronounced with a "long o" sound: Cryp-to-nO-mi-con. Who knew?

Also, I saw this guy walking down 7th Avenue.