Wednesday, January 24, 2007

In the works

I’ve been writing a blog about being a nightclub bouncer for nearly three years now. I’ve also written a book about being a nightclub bouncer. That, my friends, is a lot of writing about being a nightclub bouncer. And you know what? I’m kind of sick of writing about being a nightclub bouncer.

Seriously, I am. I’m also sick of being a nightclub bouncer.

Don’t get me wrong here - it’s a great job to write about, and this little blog-accident is one of the best things that’s ever happened to me. And who knows? Maybe I even wrote a halfway decent book. I dunno. I guess I’ll figure that out when it’s on the market and people actually start reading and reviewing it. I’m proud of it, regardless. I wrote it as well as I could, and I hope everyone willing to invest a few bucks in it is treated to something they can enjoy for three-hundred pages or so. I had a story to tell, and I told it, and maybe found a career in the process. Again, I don’t know, but one can hope, right? It sure as hell beats most of the other shit I’ve done in my life.

The thing you have to realize, though, is that I can’t keep pulling this stuff out of my ass forever. There’s only so much mileage you can get out of a shitbag job like bouncing, you know? I mean, I’m still doing it, but it’s not the same as it was two or three years ago when I really, really needed the job. I sort of still need to bounce – for now, at least – but I know I won’t have to keep it up much longer so I don’t really give a shit anymore. I pretty much just go to work and hang out and talk to people, and I don’t think I’ve actually paid attention to the place, or the people, with a “writer’s eye” for several months now.

This, of course, assumes I’ve ever had a “writer’s eye” in the first place, whatever that is.

So, I’m thinking about doing something else. I’m still going to be a bouncer for a while, and I’ll still write about it here, but I’ve come up with another idea I want to pursue and I think it’s a good one. In fact, it’s something I’ve been thinking about for over a year now and I think it’s a very good idea, if I do say so myself. Whether this “new” thing is a worthy follow-up to whatever the first book turns out to be, I haven’t a clue, but I’m excited about it and can’t wait to get started.