Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Day Two


This is the second of thirty straight posts I’ve sentenced myself to. I’m in Seattle. I’m north of Seattle, actually. To be honest, I don’t even know what the name of this fucking town is. I’m just doing what I’m told, sort of. It’s better that way. Compartmentalized. I go in, I play to my strengths, and tell the rest to go fuck itself and let someone else handle it.

There’s nothing here. Just business. I ate a burger today that was topped with jalapeno poppers. They sat right in the middle of the beef patty. This was called the Cowboy Burger. It came with French fries, but they called the French fries “potato wedges.” I don’t know what the difference was. They were served on a bed of lettuce, which was strange because it made them soggy. I didn’t want soggy potato wedges. I wanted crisp ones, but I didn’t complain to the chef because I was very hungry. I just ate them and left.

I’m tired. I haven’t slept in a while. I’m about to go to sleep, but I needed to write, so I’m staying awake just a little while longer. It’s been a very long day filled with airports and rental cars and long, weird drives on roads I’ve never seen. I’m sure Seattle is very nice. I wouldn’t know. I’m not here for very long.

They have places here where girls wearing lingerie will serve you coffee. I went to one of these today with my business partner. It was a drive-through. The girl was husky, and her outfit looked very complicated. The coffee was okay. I needed it. They took debit cards. We also met a guy named Duane who showed us a photocopied magazine cover from 1973 and a jazz CD made by a black trumpet player from New York. Maybe he thought we all knew each other. People from New York, I mean.

You can see the Puget Sound from my hotel room. Not now, because it’s pitch dark, but in general. I’m afraid someone is going to come out of the sea and climb in my window while I’m sleeping, so I’ll be ready. It’s also 31.6 miles from here to the nearest Staples. I know, because I made the drive earlier, then stopped for coffee and ate a bag of salami for dinner.

And, so...