They Put You In A Corner
The way stupid shit starts on Facebook is a six-step process.
1. I post an innocuous status update about a frequently aired television commercial that I think is stupid.
2. I get a stream of comments from people who think my comment is either on-target or is itself rather stupid and unnecessary.
3. My friend's father responds with an out-of-leftfield political comment that has nothing whatsoever with my original post (although I think he thinks it does).
4. Several more people post comments arguing his point and ridiculing it.
5. My phone predictably rings, bringing Facebook into real life, where it doesn't belong.
6. I get exasperated and give up.
Ironically enough, this was the highlight of my weekend.